So, you have reached the end of your nursing education, and now your focus has shifted toward the bewildering amount of job applications and their specific requirements. Healthcare jobs are one of the most in-demand positions. However, there are more and more people targeting the very positions that you have spent the past years studying for. Whether you have decided to aim for a graduate program, or to work as an enrolled or registered nurse, you will quickly discover that having a professionally produced nursing resume and cover letter at the ready is your surest bet to securing the position you want.
If your resume is not working, no one will tell you. Nobody is going to ring you or email you to say “It’s not you, you’re awesome, it’s your resume that that’s letting you down.” The fact is they will simply ignore your resume, or you will get the standard ‘on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful’ letter.
There are so many times in life where, in order to get on, we need to sell our key achievements. The fact is, very few people feel comfortable blowing their own trumpet. No matter how good you are at what you do, many of us feel awkward spelling it out in a way that says “Hey, look at me, I’m awesome!”. But there are certain pivotal moments where it is absolutely the right thing to do. One of them is your resume.
Your resume serves one purpose and one purpose only – to get you ahead of the pack in front of a recruiter and land an interview. Resumes tend to follow a conventional pattern – the candidate’s details, a short list of personal strengths, a list of qualifications, career aspirations, a rundown of the work history with key responsibilities, some referees, and that is it; job done. But most likely, job not won. Why? One reason could be that you did not adhere to the STAR format.
- How to Successfully Navigate a Career Change June 10, 2019
- Questions Interviewers Can’t Ask June 4, 2019
- Graduate Nursing Programs – Finding the Right One June 1, 2019
- Working Longer Hours Does Not Make You More Productive May 30, 2019
- Why Your Resume is Not Working May 27, 2019
- Is Job Security a Myth? May 21, 2019
- What are The Qualities Employers Look For? May 16, 2019
- Make Your Resume Stand Out with Key Achievements May 14, 2019
- What Not to Say in an Interview May 9, 2019
- Some Reasons Why You Are Not Getting an Interview May 7, 2019
Stay in the Know!
Join our mailing list to receive our latest articles on all things career related.