What can you say to a company who reviews your resume, calls you in for an hour-long interview, only to declare at the end they think your “overqualified” for the job and not a good fit for them? You know this company is hiring a lot of people. You would think they would love to hire someone with more experience. But they turned you down flat.
So, you have landed that all-important interview. But you need to prepare, and you need to know there are questions interviewers can’t ask. There are in fact, several questions that interviewers can’t ask you.
The questions put to you are only to be regarding your facility to carry out the advertised role. And yes, your character traits are pertinent to your ability to perform that role. However, there is a line an interviewer can’t cross, and you need to be aware of them.
Many people think the battle is won by landing the interview. Whilst it is certainly a major feat these days to beat out possibly 100s of other candidates to be shortlisted for interview, you are far from the finish line, and many an otherwise intelligent, articulate and confident applicant has been known to blow an interview by saying the wrong thing entirely at the wrong time.
If you are continually fed up with not getting an interview, despite knowing the role positions were virtually written with you in mind, there may be some things you need to address.Here at Select Resumes, we have found that the most obvious reason is that clients’ resumes are just not strong enough. A poor-quality resume is an unfocused resume, a poorly designed (read; ugly) resume, or an error-filled resume (or worse still – all three!). A job-seekers resume is a critical marketing tool — one whose only purpose is to get you an interview.
- COVID-19 – Getting Back to Work June 15, 2020
- Updating Your Resume During COVID-19 is an Essential Job May 18, 2020
- Improving Your Chances of Working With the Australian Border Force May 11, 2020
- How to Improve Your Chances of Working With the ATO May 4, 2020
- What is JobKeeper and How Can You Access it? April 27, 2020
- COVID-19 and What it Means to the Australian Workforce April 20, 2020
- How to Be Productive Working from Home – Part Two April 13, 2020
- How to Be Productive Working from Home – Part One April 6, 2020
- How to Embrace Change in the Workplace March 30, 2020
- Is Your Lack of Self-Confidence Holding You Back at Work? March 23, 2020
Stay in the Know!
Join our mailing list to receive our latest articles on all things career related.