What can you say to a company who reviews your resume, calls you in for an hour-long interview, only to declare at the end they think your “overqualified” for the job and not a good fit for them? You know this company is hiring a lot of people. You would think they would love to hire someone with more experience. But they turned you down flat.
So, you have landed that all-important interview. But you need to prepare, and you need to know there are questions interviewers can’t ask. There are in fact, several questions that interviewers can’t ask you.
The questions put to you are only to be regarding your facility to carry out the advertised role. And yes, your character traits are pertinent to your ability to perform that role. However, there is a line an interviewer can’t cross, and you need to be aware of them.
Many people think the battle is won by landing the interview. Whilst it is certainly a major feat these days to beat out possibly 100s of other candidates to be shortlisted for interview, you are far from the finish line, and many an otherwise intelligent, articulate and confident applicant has been known to blow an interview by saying the wrong thing entirely at the wrong time.
If you are continually fed up with not getting an interview, despite knowing the role positions were virtually written with you in mind, there may be some things you need to address.Here at Select Resumes, we have found that the most obvious reason is that clients’ resumes are just not strong enough. A poor-quality resume is an unfocused resume, a poorly designed (read; ugly) resume, or an error-filled resume (or worse still – all three!). A job-seekers resume is a critical marketing tool — one whose only purpose is to get you an interview.
- Where Are All The Teaching Jobs? March 30, 2020
- How to Be Productive Working from Home – Part One March 30, 2020
- Is Your Lack of Self-Confidence Holding You Back at Work? March 23, 2020
- How to Beat “Overqualified for the Job” Syndrome March 16, 2020
- Are You Mentally Prepared For Your Job Search? – Part Two March 9, 2020
- Are You Mentally Prepared For Your Job Search? – Part One March 2, 2020
- How to Navigate the Office Romance February 24, 2020
- Are Renewable Energy Jobs the Way Forward? February 17, 2020
- Are Standing Desks the Big Thing for 2020? February 10, 2020
- Do You Really Need a Cover Letter? February 3, 2020
Stay in the Know!
Join our mailing list to receive our latest articles on all things career related.