Australia’s GDP is continuing to dependent upon fossil fuels, and we are world leaders in coal, and iron ore mining. However, Australia is also becoming more aware and more innovative where it comes to renewable energy and the jobs it can create.
As 2019 winds down and another new year is upon us, people’s thoughts turn to fresh starts, and that includes a new job or even a new career. But what does 2020 hold for job seekers? Where the growth areas? What industries are declining? Where is the best place to be practising your particular trade?
Christmas neatly divides job hunters into two distinct groups – those who down tools and relax for a well-earned rest, and those who use the period to focus on that job search that they never quite have the time for normally. Job seekers and recruitment companies often say the holidays are slow for hiring but don’t believe it.
When You Are Ready to Quit Your Job Without a Parachute
We have all been there. The moment when job stress, office politics, lousy management, lack of promotion, overwork, and boredom all gets too much. The perceived wisdom is that you should never quit your job until you have something definite to move on to. The advice is that no matter how much you need to resign – stick it out until you have something in the bag.
Negotiating a pay rise is primarily about your value. Get an idea of what you should be asking for by speaking to people doing similar roles to you within your company, in the same sector and in similar organisations. Most people are familiar with the advice to start with a high number, but new research suggests that a precise number makes a more powerful statement in negotiations.
There are many good reasons why you wish to apply for a role that you are overqualified to do. You could be switching industries and sensibly realise that you need to start a level that does not accurately reflect your true abilities. You may be reaching an age at which you want to shift down a gear and take a job that is less taxing and has less overall responsibility than you have been used to.
- How to Be Productive Working from Home – Part Two April 6, 2020
- Where Are All The Teaching Jobs? March 30, 2020
- How to Be Productive Working from Home – Part One March 30, 2020
- Is Your Lack of Self-Confidence Holding You Back at Work? March 23, 2020
- How to Beat “Overqualified for the Job” Syndrome March 16, 2020
- Are You Mentally Prepared For Your Job Search? – Part Two March 9, 2020
- Are You Mentally Prepared For Your Job Search? – Part One March 2, 2020
- How to Navigate the Office Romance February 24, 2020
- Are Renewable Energy Jobs the Way Forward? February 17, 2020
- Are Standing Desks the Big Thing for 2020? February 10, 2020
Stay in the Know!
Join our mailing list to receive our latest articles on all things career related.