Senior School Team Leader – Leading Teacher
The client was currently acting in the position she wished to apply for – Senior School Team Leader. To apply for this role, the client was required to provide a response of no more than one page per key selection criteria:
- Demonstrated high level understanding of initiatives in student learning including the Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 and Assessment and Reporting Advice and the capacity to provide leadership in the alignment of these areas.
- Demonstrated outstanding classroom teaching skills and the capacity to support colleagues to continually improve teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated high level ability to monitor and assess student learning data at the individual, cohort and whole school level and to use this data to inform teaching for improved student learning.
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills and high level interpersonal skills including a capacity to develop constructive relationships with students, parents and other staff and contribute to the leadership and management of the school.
- Demonstrated commitment and capacity to actively contribute to and lead whole school improvement initiatives, manage major curriculum or student activities and a commitment to ongoing professional learning for self and others to enable further development of skills, expertise and teaching capacity.
To put together this application, I emailed the client prior to our consultation and informed them to have a think about suitable examples for each selection criteria point. During the consultation, I engaged the client in a discussion, ensuring she had relevant examples and experience for each point. I ensured she provided me with a clear Situation, Task, Action and Result for each example to enable me to put together the responses using the STAR model. As a result of understanding the role and familiarising myself with the client’s experience, I was able to effectively carry out the consultation, subsequently writing a lengthy document to showcase her skills and experience.