Administrator in Mining Case Study by Rachael L.
This client was seeking to change career paths from a Teacher to an Administrator in the Mining Sector and came to Select Resumes for a resume update and cover letter targeting relevant roles. Although she lacks professional experience in mining, she has considerable practice performing administrative functions as a Teacher, as well as a demonstrated aptitude for continuous professional development and learning.
To showcase her transferable skills, I spent time with the client to draw out key achievements and responsibilities from her career that demonstrated her administrative competencies. Some of the skills we focused on included:
- Excellent communication skills, ability to multitask and a positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to build productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Sound judgement with a strong commitment to safety
- Document management and preparation
- Record and data maintenance
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent work ethic
These skills were elaborated upon using the STAR model, focussing on Situations, Actions, Tasks, and Results to clearly demonstrate her administrative experience. In addition, we focused on relevant professional characteristics and transferable core skills to further illustrate her capacity to take on new challenges in a new career. Consequently, she now has a resume and cover letter that will help her transition from a Teaching to an Administrative role.