University Leading Education Professional (Lecturer) Mathematics – Selection Criteria Response
The brief for the position was to write a 300 to 600-word response to each of nine selection criteria for an experienced Leading Mathematics Lecturer within a well-known University. This was a competitive internal recruitment process, covering both essential and desirable criterion points, including:
Maths Selection Criteria Essential:
• Demonstrated ability to adapt and deliver teaching materials for online/blended delivery
• Demonstrated development of innovative and creative course materials
• Demonstrated ability to set a variety of assessment tasks for various modes of delivery
• Demonstrated competence in assessment production
• Demonstrated enthusiasm for teaching online
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Relevant Post-graduate qualification to convene Diploma Maths course/s
• Experience teaching Diploma Maths courses
• Experience using Latex and STACK to create assessments
The client, who had been in the department for a number of years, wanted assistance in linking their extensive mathematical subject matter knowledge with the soft skill competencies of being a highly effective university lecturer.
This application was being assessed using a competency-based approach. During the consultation, we discussed some of her current and previous work and how we could add more tangible examples of her social, cognitive, instructional, personal, and andrological competencies using the STAR method.
Given the recent pivot to online and blended learning in response to COVID-19, a number of the criteria focused on demonstrated ability in this area. My client had been highly proactive in rapidly responding to the change in delivery method, so had a number of relevant examples that we were able to draw from.
The end result was a comprehensive selection criteria response that clearly demonstrated the clients’ strong technical and social competency for the role.