TAFE Lecturer – Cover Letter, Resume, Statement of Claims
The client, an experienced Registered Nurse from a culturally diverse background, had been working as a TAFE Lecturer for two years. When the opportunity to apply for her role permanently arose, she knew there would be many applicants.
The remit was to ensure that the application succinctly addressed all of the selection criteria with tangible examples. It was also important that the cover letter, statement of claims and resume were cohesive and well written, showing a good understanding of both the nursing and vocational training sectors.
To fit around the client’s family and work needs, the consultation was completed over several phone calls. Using the STAR methodology, we identified explicit examples of when she had applied her extensive skills and knowledge to deliver the key accountabilities of the advertised role. These included:
- Relevant current qualifications in nursing and training and assessment
- Professional experience and current technical knowledge in nursing
- Teaching and assessment experience
- Maintaining industry currency and community collaboration
- Systems and compliance in the VET sector
- Build constructive relationships, adapt communication style to suit audience and context, promote and adhere to business area values
- Identify and act on own learning needs
- Contribute ideas to enhance and improve work practices
- Access and utilise information and research sources about VET practice as appropriate to teaching level and industry area
When writing up the documents, I ensured to weave the keywords of the TAFE and VET sector into each point. Doing this demonstrated the client’s strong cultural alignment in addition to position competency, shown through the examples provided.
The result was a compelling package of documents that showcased the client and her perfect fit for the job.