Upon receiving this order for an executive-level statement of claims, I immediately noticed that it would be a challenging document to complete, as it required addressing a substantial amount of information within a one-page document. The client had been previously working as a Finance Manager for a large company and was looking to transition to a public-sector role. The application asked that we explicitly address the following key capabilities:
· A high level of integrity.
· Strong communication and organisational skills to manage competing priorities for the successful delivery of divisional objectives.
· Exercise sound judgement.
· Have a high degree of initiative and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive business matters.
· Work collaboratively with others and build productive relationships to achieve results in a busy, fast-paced environment.
It also asked that we consider the substantial list of key responsibilities in forming the response. Prior to the consultation, I prepared a range of questions designed to make sure I captured the “value-adds” of the client. Throughout the discussion, I asked the client to concentrate on examples that were aligned with the responsibilities of the role, in addition to the values and ethos of the organisation. As such, I was able to prepare a one-page statement that not only included all the required information but also captured the essence of the client’s skills and experiences and how they aligned with the role in question.