Case Study – Portfolio Support Officer (Identified) Resume and Three-Page Statement by Josie
The client had a diverse employment history in a remote cattle station ranging from farm overseer, kitchen manager and accommodation and administrative support officer. More recently, the client worked at a gas retailer that supplied businesses and private citizens as an administration officer and wanted to extend her experience into a position within a university that offers career advancement in the future.
The role of Portfolio Support Officer that she was applying for comprised responsibilities such as preparing correspondence, agenda, minutes and briefs, as well as providing high-level services with competing priorities and under pressure, to Senior Management with well-developed interpersonal and oral communication skills at all levels being sensitive to a culturally diverse cohort. To apply for this role, the client was required to provide a resume and statement of claims (maximum three pages) outlining their skills and experience and ability to meet the following requirements of the role;
- Have Relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent combination of experience and/or education and/or training.
- Effective to well-developed written communication skills with the capacity to prepare correspondence, agendas, minutes, briefs and other documents and respond to enquiries confidentially and autonomously.
- Effective to well-developed interpersonal and oral communication skills and the ability to relate to a wide range of staff at all levels.
- Demonstrated commitment to high-quality outcomes, including attention to detail, the ability to research and collate information from a wide range of sources, and an ability to relate tasks to the wider context.
- Experience in providing administrative services, including an ability to use judgement, initiative and confidentiality to support the activities of Senior Management.
- Informed problem-solving capabilities and the ability to work with general supervision to determine and prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Sound knowledge of contemporary administrative systems, software and practices, and an ability to interpret and apply a range of relevant policies and procedures within a large and complex organisation.
To put together this application, I engaged the client in a discussion about her transferable skills and experience and extracted a specific example that demonstrated each of the requirements. I ensured that she provided me with a clear Situation, Task, Action and Result for each example to enable me to put together the responses using the STAR model. With the limit of three pages for the statement of claims required, I ensured that her resume related responsibilities highlighted transferrable skills and sought-after professional characteristics such as problem-solving and working well under pressure to further support her three-page statement. The statement further outlined her transferrable skills with a clear example that demonstrated her abilities and skills in line with the capabilities outlined in the job vacancy that would be an asset to the position.
I am confident that the client presents as a strong applicant for this role and that we have assisted her considerably to increase the likelihood that she will be called in for an interview. The client expressed that she was not confident in interviews, so I advised that she may benefit from interview coaching, which she is considering. I look forward to hearing back from the client to discuss the outcome.
Industry: Portfolio Support Officer