Australian Border Force – Senior Border Force Officer – Trainer
This order was for a repeat client that I had worked with previously and was applying for a Senior Border Force Officer position as a Trainer. Having worked together before and with her complete confidence in the process, we were able to make this order a smooth and timely turnaround working around her national travel requirements for work.
Through the first successful application I had written for her, the client had secured an interview. However, due to the lengthy recruitment process for the role, she had decided that she wanted to apply for this position as well, while she waited to hear if she had been successful.
With the extensive experience she had working for over 17 years for the Australian Border Force, she was a prime candidate for the role. However, with time constraints and the desired points that needed addressing in only a “one-page pitch”, she felt she needed assistance in ensuring that all of the requirements were covered.
The application asked for the following to be addressed;
• How your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role
• Why you are interested in the role and what you can offer us
• Any specific examples or achievements that demonstrate your ability to perform the role
The examples had to demonstrate the following:
• Possess strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrate excellent organisational skills and proven ability to manage projects and meet tight deadlines Demonstrated ability to adapt and respond to new challenges in a changing environment
• The ability to present and facilitate training with audiences of various sizes
• A high level of integrity, particularly when conducting assessments or evaluation of training participants
• Assist in setting priorities and ensure quality of outputs for the work area
• Assist in developing objectives for short-term tasks and contribute to strategic planning for longer-term initiatives Perform quality assurance of risks and treatments for area of responsibility
• Support complex relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve work area and agency goals
• Work under limited direction with opportunity for autonomy and accountability in interpreting policy and the application of practices and procedures
• Coordinate resources, monitor and record all training
With such a small space to cover such extensive points, we worked together to choose the strongest examples that would cover more than one aspect of the application requirements. Using key phrases relevant to the role, I was then able to produce a precise and well-rounded document that the client was able to use with confidence and back up with her detailed resume and cover letter.
Written by Kristie Moore.