The client has over ten years of experience in teaching English to adults in a variety of settings, with her most recent experience spanning five years within the TAFE system. With a desire to secure permanent employment, the client was applying for a part-time position that would see her moving around numerous TAFE colleges in the Sydney region. As I had previously written this client’s resume six months ago, it was only the selection criteria that were required in order for her to submit this application. The criteria were as follows:
- A recognised three-year undergraduate degree or equivalent, and a postgraduate TESOL qualification.
- Hold the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, or its successor or a diploma or higher level qualification in adult education.
- Relevant and current vocational/community experience, including a minimum of 100 hours of post qualification experience in designing and delivering programs relevant to ESOL.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement programs of training and assessment for adults in more than one delivery context.
- High level written and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a team environment.
- Commitment and ability to facilitate learning in an adult environment
- Commitment and capacity to implement Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Ethical Practice, Ethnic Affairs Priorities Statements, Work Health and Safety (WH&S) as they relate to the position.
Having previously worked with this client, I knew of her situation and already had some information that was required. Ensuring I was prepared for another phone consultation with the client, I familiarised myself with the role, the capabilities and requirements of the selection criteria. In order to show how the client has capably demonstrated the requirements of the role, we engaged in a discussion about specific examples that followed the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method, and she provided me with information that answered the criteria as required. As a result of using this method, I was able to give clear examples of the client’s suitability for the role. Combined with her experience, I believe she will be a strong applicant for the position.
Written by Melissa W.
Category: Selection Criteria Writing