Job hunting? – Brand yourself with a LinkedIn profile that rocks!
According to Social Media Statistics, there are currently around 4 million Australians who are using LinkedIn regularly. This figure continues to grow as more people focus on their professional identity. This makes it the perfect place for getting to know people and companies and finding out where the jobs are in your industry. So, how do you go about creating a profile which will attract (or at least not repel) potential employers? They will check your profile, often before they have even decided who to interview for their position.
There are a number of ways you can use LinkedIn to increase your chances of getting that job, including:
- Ensuring your profile is highly relevant to your potential job and industry
- Using LinkedIn to network with people in that industry
- Follow companies you would like to work for to find out more about them
- Use groups to help people where you can with useful information and become known
- Search for jobs within companies you would like to work with.
Starting with your profile, make sure it is well written, aligns with your resume and other documents and contains information the employer may be looking for. If you achieve each of the following tips, you will be well on the way to creating a relevant and professional profile:
- Make sure your photo is of you! It sounds obvious, but so many LinkedIn profiles include photos of family members and dogs – it needs to be of you! A head and shoulders shot is always the best, and the more professional it looks, the better – in any industry.
- Ensure your headline is relevant. Your headline sits underneath your name in the profile and doesn’t have to include your job title. You can use this space to brand yourself in terms of the type of work that you do. For example, if your current role is as an Accounts Assistant, but you are degree qualified and want to move up – your headline might read “Qualified Professional Accountant” or “Qualified Accountant”.
- Include a Summary. Your summary should be a 200-300 word professional profile of your key skill-set which relates well to the job you most want. Including positive language and relevant keywords is a must. You can get an understanding of which keywords to use by using the job advertisement as a guide.
- Contact Information. Make sure your contact information is available, so people can contact you if they need to.
The whole purpose of creating a LinkedIn profile is to promote the professional you, so make sure that all information is focussed on your achievements, knowledge and experience around the position you are targeting.
If you are struggling to get your knowledge and skills into the words you need, companies such as Select Resumes, and Resume Writing Services can assist with this process. These professional companies have a team of professional writers and editors who, together, can create professional profiles that rock! The process is simple, including a phone consultation, information preparation and upload. This can take the stress out of ensuring a polished finished to your LinkedIn profile.
In addition to LinkedIn, employers may well google you and find your Facebook profile among others. A good tip is to do this for yourself before applying for a job so you at least know what is going to come up. This way you can either amend problems or at the very least prepare a response if asked about the issue at interview. Here are a few tips on what not to do on social media, especially if you are job hunting:
- Never bad-mouth your employer or colleagues
- Refrain from offensive language or overly controversial opinions
- Be aware of what you look like once googled, or searched for online
Overall, the key is to brand yourself before someone else does. In other words – if you write your profiles in a professional manner, then you can’t help but project a positive image on LinkedIn and this will hopefully lead to happy employers and more job offers! Good Luck.
Are you seeking a resume writing service? Select Resumes can provide this service to you at the highest standard. Select Resumes also offers dedicated selection criteria writers to give you the help that you need for even the most complex government job applications. Once you have secured your interview, talk to us about our experienced and passionate interview skills coaches so that you can feel more confident at your next job interview.